Friday, March 27, 2015

The Tip


I was well into my teens before I heard about tipping.  At first, the idea seemed ludicrous: why should I pay a waitress extra for doing her job?

I finally asked a girl about this.  Once she stopped chuckling at my naïveté she explained that waitresses don't get paid more than a couple of bucks an hour, so they depend on tips.  (Can you say Performance-based Compensation?)

Then there was the matter of how much to tip.  Ten percent of the bill?  Fifteen during the day, I was told; twenty for supper.  What if the food was subpar, or the meal came late or the service was lousy?

There are guidelines.  Here is one:

I've never waited tables and wouldn't want to; I've witnessed far too many pain-in-the-ass customers.  For that reason alone, appropriate (nay, generous) tipping is warranted.

What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?